[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: info on proposed SSL protocol and Netscape implementation

>Regarding the general IP security (I think you that IPng thing) is going to
>last several years till it becomes operational IMHO.

Yup, and it would be extraordinarily difficult to try to support a
security layer between TCP and IP on a wide range of platforms and networking
implementations today.  SSL can and does layer on top of existing TCP/IP
implementations across arbitrary platforms (Mac, Windows, Unix, whatever),
today.

>SSL could become reality in the next year.

Yup -- we have it operational in the latest Netscape betas (0.93 and 0.94),
and we're in beta on the corresponding server.  It should be relatively
straightforward for others to implement, as it's fairly lightweight.

Cheers,
Marc

--
Marc Andreessen